Skip to main content

FEATURED ARTIST OF THE WEEK: KIP JACKSON

Hi! Everyone, This weeks 'FEATURED ARTIST OF THE WEEK is the talented musician- singer-songwriter KIP JACKSON

1. Please introduce yourself

My name is Kip Jackson. I am a 22-year-old singer songwriter from Athens, Georgia. I’ve been playing music since I was in 6th grade. 

2. How did you get into music?


I was exposed to music when I was very little. My dad played classical music and jazz while I slept from the day I was born. I remember vividly staying awake all night listening to John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” during the summer. During middle school I played trumpet in the school band. I stopped playing during high school but after I graduated, I became re obsessed with jazz and bought a digital piano. I quickly took to the instrument and digested every piece of knowledge I could. Then I heard a live version of “Neon” by John Mayer. I was blown away by his guitar playing and bought an acoustic guitar soon after. I didn’t take to guitar quite the same as piano. In my opinion guitar has a pretty steep learning curve because it can take months to just be ably to cleanly play simple chords and melodies, versus with piano you can play the moment you press a key. However, I persisted and progressed. Eventually I bought an electric guitar and became immersed in the blues artists of the 20th century. After playing and working for about 3 years, I purchased some recording equipment and got to work writing, producing, and recording my first album. 

3. What instruments do you play?


I play drums, bass, guitar, piano and trumpet.

4. Who are your influences?


My three biggest influences must be John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, and John Mayer. John Coltrane holds a special place in my heart. “A Love Supreme is not only my favorite album, but my favorite piece of art. I have had countless experiences of discovery while listening to it. It is truly the epitome of jazz. It’s endless and vast, simultaneously chaotic and peaceful. John Mayer inspired me to pick up a guitar and Jimi inspired me to push the limits of not only guitar but songwriting I general. There are many, many more, but I these three artists will always be important to me. 

5. Tell us about your latest release


My latest release is called “What Happens When A Melody Dies”. I remember one night I had a dream where I was a song floating through the air when I woke up, I started thinking about melody. I’ve always been highly interested in melody and rhythm and I came up with the idea for the album title. In the album I wanted to pay tribute to influences while also creating something that was unique and expressed my own artistic vision. The song has blues, jazz, country, and synths. Its eclectic just like my own personal musical tastes. 

6. What’s your songwriting process? 


I don’t really have a set process. I usually start with a melody or chord progression on guitar or keyboard. Then from there I add bass, drums and other musical elements. I tend to play fast and loose. I prefer to create on the fly and then refine the songs later.  I also make a point to play everything in whole takes from start to finish. I think that makes my music sound organic which is what I prefer. Most of my songs are improvised, I just start playing and see what happens. 

7. Which musician/ artist would you most like to collaborate with & why?


I think I would most like to collaborate with Neil Young. I love the songs he’s done with Crazy Horse, and I feel like our styles are very similar. 

8. If you were on a desert island what 3 musical gear would you take? 


I’d have to have a guitar and a piano for sure. I think the third piece of gear would be an amplifier for the guitar.

9. Where can fans find your music (links etc.)?


My music is available in all digital stores 
Spotify Artist link
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2VqRcfJGTxzmupeNzSSGHN?si=11H_t6bvRc6MMQxNabkS0w


I would like to say a huge thank you to KIP JACKSON for taking part in this 'Featured Artist of The Week'😀😀

Until next time

Law

Popular posts from this blog

CUBASE & LOGIC PRO X- BYPASS ALL PLUGINS!

A few weeks ago someone posted in Facebook group about how to Bypass ALL plugins in Cubase 8.5. (As some of you may know i use Cubase 8.5 in the main studio). It's a lot quicker than turning off each individual plugin. Here's how to do this: CUBASE- Go to File  Key Commands  Mixer (Section) Bypass Inserts Type in box a key (e.g. B etc) Assign OK When you press that key all plugins should be bypassed on the mixer LOGIC PRO X- As far as i know at the moment you cannot just press one button/ key & turn all the plugins off simultaneously. You can row by row.  Here's a quick video tutorial : Hope this helps Until next time Law Official Website LW Music Services Twitter Facebook (Law) Facebook (LW Music Services) Youtube Instagram Soundbetter

FAMOUS SAMPLES?

If you've ever heard a song & thought "Hold on, I recognise some of this". Maybe that's because the song you are listening to contains a sample of another song. Here is a few famous songs with the 'Original' sample in brackets: 'Hung Up' -MADONNA ('Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie' -ABBA) 'SOS'-RIHANNA ('Tainted Love'-SOFT CELL, However the 'original was by GLORIA JONES) 'Sing for the moment'- EMINEM ('Dream On'- AEROSMITH) 'Rock DJ'-ROBBIE WILLIAMS (It's ecstasy when you lay next to me'- BARRY WHITE) 'Good Feeling'- FLO RIDA ('Somethings got a hold of me'- ETTA JAMES) Gold Digger'- KANYE WEST FEAT. JAMIE FOX ('I got a Woman'- RAY CHARLES) 'Feel Good Time' -PINK FEAT WILLIAM ORBIT ('Fresh Garbage'-SPIRIT) 'Don't Stop The Music'- RIHANNA ('Wanna be startin' somethin'- MICHAEL JACKSON) 'Regulate'- WARREN G & NA

PEDAL STEEL SYNTH?

Synthesizers use oscillators to create a tone. Sound Source synth uses strings. The synth features: Slide Bar Pitch Bending Pedal Delay Analog Filter As of writing this the synth is still in prototype.  The price will be approx $700-$1200.  This is certainly a different musical instrument Until next time Law OFFICIAL WEBSITE LW MUSIC SERVICES (Mixing & Mastering) TWITTER  FACEBOOK (Law) FACEBOOK (LW Music Services) FACEBOOK (The Solar Project) YOUTUBE