Skip to main content

FEATURED ARTIST OF THE WEEK: ERIC SOMMER

Hi! Everyone,
This weeks FEATURED ARTIST OF THE WEEK is the talented musician, singer-songwriter ERIC SOMMER

1.Please introduce yourself
Hello Hello - My name is Eric Sommer

2. How did you get into music?
My Dad gave me a guitar when I was 6 years old; I grew up in SE Asia, and my beautiful parents felt they needed to get me something to keep me busy and off the streets

3. What instruments do you play? 
Stringed Instruments like guitars, sitar, banjo and cigar box things I make mostly, plus Harmonica, Piano and kick pedal tethered to a cardboard box

4. Who are your influences?
I grew up immersed in Bob Dylan and Pete Seeger, and then acoustic players mostly, from Steve Howe to Davy Graham, Bert Yansch, and John Renbourne plus the early Pentangle stuff and I was and still am attracted to the clarity, pure emotional content and unforgiving beat of early punk - Clash, Dead Kennedy's, Gang of Four, and then the new wave stuff with The Cars... I am very interested in John Cage and King Crimson, and in uncovering new emotional triggers with soundscapes...

5. Tell us about your latest release
The latest release is a three disc project that comprises 33 songs, using a variety of instrumentation. The core is a trio, and the first 11 songs are finished and mastered, and are in the traditional power trio format which delivers an upfront sonic presentation not unlike the early Rockpile and Pretenders groove.
The songs are quirky, thought provoking and as pure an exploration of melody and content, subject matter and social commentary as I could drag up; These songs are on their own, living together on the record where they swing from the Giant-Steps-influenced "Formica Suit" to the urban melancholy of "Panic in Passaic", and jump on the groove train with "Soldier Bob" and ride it all the way to Texas, grab a cheese burger & a cherry freeze and get back in time for Do Re Mi...  
There's love lost by circumstances in "Tell Me What I'm Doing Wrong", there's a hillbilly anthem to parking cars in the front yard titled "Red Neck Parking Lot" and another that expounds on the joys of driving fast called "Keep Your Hands on The Wheel"

6. Whats your songwriting process?  
I believe a song, a poem, a bit of verse or an entire essay will come when it wants to, no matter if you are ready or not. And the is nothing you can do about it except recognize what is happening, pull over and let the universe speak through you. Write it down and stay there until it's out. You probably won't catch that inspiration later, so take the moment and get writing.

7. Which musician/ artist would you most like to collaborate with & why?
The Universe flows freely through Paul McCartney and his catalog is a statement to his being completely open to the inspirations the Universe sends, so I'd appreciate an afternoon with him alone, on a bench, talking. I would love to spend an afternoon with Dylan Thomas, and with one or two Street Performers from Dublin and also from the Nottinghill Street Market... I would love to write with someone on the skids, who has nothing left except their soul and a life of regret and wrong turns, just imagine what they have to say. I would love to write with Bob Dylan around the time he wrote "Like a Rolling Stone" and I'd give a lot to be able to have an afternoon with Truman Capote, just as he finishes "A Christmas Memory", in my view the perfect short story and lyrical statement. I like finding fresh faces in the basement of NSAI in Nashville, full of songs, ideas and verbs but not yet able to hook them all together... and I would love to hear from Joe Jackson who I'd ask to trade lines with me. And my 92 year old Dad, still the poet Laureate, who at the drop of a hat, and many times without provocation, will hold for on a firey ramble that can shake the rafters and is so loaded with glorious uses of the English Language it would keep a Doctoral Student busy doing research for a month...
I write with anyone who inspires me.

8. If you were on a desert island what 3 musical gear would you take? 
My 1969 Fender Telecaster, my 1971 Fender Princeton amp and a Vol pedal/Tube Screamer/Boss Tuner pedal line-up. Please Please - one more? a cheap Jay Jr. Acoustic with a Fishman Matrix II

9. Where can fans find your music (links etc)?
A lot is at www.ericsommer.com, and on soundcloud/eric-sommer

I would like to say a huge thank you for ERIC SOMMER for taking part in this weeks 'Featured Artist of The Week' 😀😀

Until next time

Law

Popular posts from this blog

CUBASE & LOGIC PRO X- BYPASS ALL PLUGINS!

A few weeks ago someone posted in Facebook group about how to Bypass ALL plugins in Cubase 8.5. (As some of you may know i use Cubase 8.5 in the main studio). It's a lot quicker than turning off each individual plugin. Here's how to do this: CUBASE- Go to File  Key Commands  Mixer (Section) Bypass Inserts Type in box a key (e.g. B etc) Assign OK When you press that key all plugins should be bypassed on the mixer LOGIC PRO X- As far as i know at the moment you cannot just press one button/ key & turn all the plugins off simultaneously. You can row by row.  Here's a quick video tutorial : Hope this helps Until next time Law Official Website LW Music Services Twitter Facebook (Law) Facebook (LW Music Services) Youtube Instagram Soundbetter

FAMOUS SAMPLES?

If you've ever heard a song & thought "Hold on, I recognise some of this". Maybe that's because the song you are listening to contains a sample of another song. Here is a few famous songs with the 'Original' sample in brackets: 'Hung Up' -MADONNA ('Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie' -ABBA) 'SOS'-RIHANNA ('Tainted Love'-SOFT CELL, However the 'original was by GLORIA JONES) 'Sing for the moment'- EMINEM ('Dream On'- AEROSMITH) 'Rock DJ'-ROBBIE WILLIAMS (It's ecstasy when you lay next to me'- BARRY WHITE) 'Good Feeling'- FLO RIDA ('Somethings got a hold of me'- ETTA JAMES) Gold Digger'- KANYE WEST FEAT. JAMIE FOX ('I got a Woman'- RAY CHARLES) 'Feel Good Time' -PINK FEAT WILLIAM ORBIT ('Fresh Garbage'-SPIRIT) 'Don't Stop The Music'- RIHANNA ('Wanna be startin' somethin'- MICHAEL JACKSON) 'Regulate'- WARREN G & NA

ABLETON PUSH 3! AKAI PRO MPC ONE+ ! APPLE MUSIC! NATIVE INSTRUMENTS+? MIAMI 1984?

 Hi! Everyone & welcome back to my music blog.  ABLETON PUSH 3- Ableton 3 are back with 2 brand new versions of their instrument 'Push'. One of the versions now has the standalone option (which means you can run 'Live' without the computer. It does come with 'Ableton Live' intro) It features:  Built in Audio interface Midi/ USB  64 MPE Pads Battery (2.5 hours, 'Standalone' version only) 256 GB SSD Hard-drive('Standalone' version only) 8 GB Ram ('Standalone' version only) The 'standalone' version is around £1699. If you are not interested in the 'Standalone' version then around £879. AKAI are back with their 'Standalone' Groovebox 'AKAI PRO MPC ONE +' . It features: 16GB Storage  2GB Ram Sampling 128 tracks for sequencing  8 audio tracks Bright 'Red' Colour 16 velocity pads  The price is around £689. APPLE recently announced new music services. Here are some of the new features: Collaborative pla